Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Storytime: My Trip to Friendly's

Lee reminded me of this story the other night, so I thought I'd share it here.

I love Friendly’s. Well, I love one thing at Friendly’s: the Reese’s Piece Sundae. That peanut butter topping is to die for. And when it mixes with the hot fudge, melted ice cream and Reese’s pieces and gets all gooey and messy...heaven in a dish.

Living in PA, I took Friendly’s for granted because they had restaurants on every corner. There wasn’t a Starbucks to be found, but there were Friendly’s aplenty. I was thrilled when I moved to Frederick and discovered a Starbucks about a mile from my home, but much to my dismay, the nearest Friendly’s was about 45 minutes away.

When Columbus Day rolled around this year, Kirstin said, “I have the best idea ever! Let’s go shopping at Tyson’s Corner. And you know what’s not too far from there? Friendly’s!” It WAS the best idea ever. So, we got the address for the Friendly’s in Arlington from the Friendly's web site, MapQuested it, and spent the next few days dreaming about how good those sundaes would taste.

That Monday, I met Kirstin at her house and we set out for a day of sundaes and shopping. Although highly unlikely, we joked about the restaurant being closed for the holiday. That would be just our kind of luck.

It took us about an hour, but we finally found Lee Highway, the street where the restaurant was located. The area was pretty built up and the street numbers were not easily seen, so Kirstin drove slowly down the street as I looked for number 5222. Next thing I knew, we were in the 6000s – we had gone too far. As Kirstin turned the car around and asked, “How we both could have missed it?” I pointed and said, “Um, I think…that’s…it.” There, at 5222 Lee Highway where Friendly’s should have been, was a chain link fence and behind it, a pile of dirt and rubble. The restaurant wasn’t closed for the holiday. It wasn’t even closed and boarded up. It was demolished. Friendly’s was no more. I screamed, “Nooooooooo!” as Kirstin laughed hysterically and pounded the steering wheel.

As my friends and I say so frequently, how is this my life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home