Saturday, August 18, 2007

Ah-CHOO!

I've been dealing with horrendous allergies lately. I've not had a bad reaction to ragweed season like this in, well, ever. Claritin and Benadryl didn't offer any relief and after waking up yesterday with swollen, red eyes, a sore throat, incessant sneezing and a runny nose as I have every day for the past two weeks, I decided enough was enough. I called my doctor.

She prescribed Allegra tablets, Nasonex nasal spray, and an eye drop to use if the Allegra didn't alleviate my eye symptoms. The thought of finally having some relief and actually feeling good after two weeks of misery was really exciting.

I went to CVS, dropped off the prescriptions, and roamed around the store while I waited for my drugs. When I returned to the pharmacy counter, the pharmacist informed me that my insurance didn't cover Allegra. "Really?" I asked. "What about the generic?" Nope. For whatever reason, that medication is not included on their list of formulary drugs, which seemed to surprise the pharmacist as well. "Okay, so how much is it?" $80. "Holy @#$%! I got out my mobile and called the number on the back of my insurance card.

The recording at the other end of the line told me, "Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m." I looked at my watch. 6:03 p.m. Great. So I'd have to wait until Monday morning to call back, find out what drugs they DID cover, go back to the doc, get a different prescription, and return to CVS. I got my nasal spray and went home for another weekend of walking around the house with a tissue stuffed up my nose.

I got home, walked in the front door, took off my sunglasses, and opened my purse to drop them in. Right then, I saw it. I realized that in my frustration to get the Allegra that I had completely forgotten about a coupon I printed online for a free month of Nasonex. I paid $28 for something I could have gotten for free. Sigh. Cough. Sniff. Ah-CHOO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home