Thursday, January 12, 2006

A Spanking for Sprint

I've used Sprint as my mobile service provider since I first got a mobile phone eight years ago. Overall, I've been very happy with their products and service. Today, they almost lost me. Almost.

I purchased a new phone and renewed my contract with Sprint in October. A few weeks ago, when I flipped open the phone and found a big crack across the inside screen, rendering the screen almost unreadable, I was glad I had added the Total Equipment Protection Service to my plan. This coverage provides a sort of insurance against loss, theft, accidental damage, and mechanical or electrical failure.

I called Sprint to make use of the coverage and was informed that, for a $50 deductible, my phone would be replaced with a good-as-new refurbished phone. As long as it included a warrantee and was guaranteed to be in good physical condition and working order, a refurbished phone was fine with me.

A few days later, I received the phone, went through the entire activation process, programmed all my numbers, and was pleased with the quick remedy. After making and receiving a few calls, I wanted to review the call history stored in the phone, but when I selected that option, I got a BEEP! and a message reading "Recent Call History is empty." I made/received a few more calls and checked again – same result.

Again, I called Sprint to explain the situation. Without hesitation, I was offered yet another good-as-new refurbished phone. Okay, that would work for me. So, again, the phone arrived, I activated it, programmed it, and started making calls. And again, when I tried to review the call history...BEEP!

AGAIN, I called Sprint. This time, after being transferred to several departments and explaining the situation each time, I was told that they could not send another phone. Instead, I would have to take the phone to the nearest Sprint store that offered equipment repair and have it tested. Okay, so where is that store? Rockville. "What?" I replied. "So I'm supposed to drive 25 miles to have this phone tested? A phone which I was told would be 'good as new'?" Yep, that's what had to happen. I said, "No way am I doing that. Can I speak to your supervisor?" I was transferred yet again.

When the supervisor came on the line and asked how I was doing, I replied, "Well, I'm frustrated. I bought a new Sprint phone in October. A few weeks ago, for no apparent reason, the phone broke. I called Sprint to use the Total Equipment Protection Service I pay for each month, paid the $50 deductible, and was sent another phone. That phone didn't work, so I called again. Again, I was sent another phone that doesn't work. Now I'm being told I have to drive 25 miles to the nearest Sprint store to have this supposedly good-as-new phone tested? That is completely unacceptable. I paid $50, plus a monthly fee for a service that is not being provided." She replied, "Ma'am, I'm very sorry for your inconvenience. As a one-time courtesy, I'd like to send you a brand-new phone. Will that be acceptable?" Sigh. Yes, that will work. She was very nice, although seemed anxious to get rid of me, but whatever. The phone should be here early next week.

With my luck, the package will fall out of the UPS truck, be run over by a street sweeper, licked by a rabid raccoon, then picked up by some random hobo who will come to my door to deliver the package and request some sort of reward, then he'll smell the fresh banana bread I just baked and he’ll burst in the door to satiate his empty tummy, accidentally scaring Ernie, who will bite him, so the hobo will sue me for everything I’ve got and I’ll end up roaming the streets of Frederick as a bag lady. But at least my cell phone will be able to maintain a call history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home