Thursday, January 05, 2006

What Dreams May Come

For some reason, I was reminded this morning of a dream I had several years ago. I can only recall a piece of it now, but that piece is still as vivid as the night I had the dream.

I dreamt that my mother died unexpectedly. Of course, I was utterly devastated. A friend of mine decided to throw a dinner party to try to cheer me up. (Ridiculous, I know.)

At the party, I was surrounded by friends, but just sat there, picking at the spaghetti in front of me. A CD of the musical Jesus Christ Superstar was playing in the background while we ate. When the song 'Gethsemane' came on, I started sobbing hysterically and insisted that we listen to it over and over again. Then, with a very indifferent tone of voice and a mouth full of spaghetti, one of my friends asked me, "So, what does it feel like to have your mother die?" I slowly raised my head and stood up. Glaring at her, I replied, "You want to know what it feels like? I'll show you what it feels like!" With that, I picked up my plate of spaghetti, shoved it in her face, and screamed "That's what it feels like!" just as the song reached the climactic line, "See how I die!"

Weird, huh? I have no idea what could have brought on the dream, but it has stayed with me ever since.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you were eating spaghetti!

3:15 PM EST  
Blogger Amanda said...

Ah, you know me so well. :)

9:47 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wasn't the friend with the crazy question

1:58 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home