Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Idol Thoughts: Week 2 - The Guys

Taylor, “Easy” – He’s definitely an acquired taste and I’m buying. I would have liked to see him to take it a little easier, maybe sit on a stool to sing, but it still worked. He’s a natural at this. 8

Elliott, “Moody’s Mood for Love” – Great voice, but those teeth? Oy! He handled the difficult changing tonality of the song impressively well. I loved the performance, but I don’t see a “star” in him at this point. 9

Ace, “If I’m Not Made for You” – Yeah, he’s hot, there’s no denying it. I despise this song, but it suits his wimpy voice and will certainly woo the girls who vote. 7

Gedeon, “A Change Is Gonna Come” – First of all, I hate hearing this guy speak. And Simon was right: his smile is disconcerting; way too many teeth. But the singing? That was really good! 8.5

Kevin, “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” – He’s a 40-year-old-man in a 16-year-old body. Let’s face it: he got here because of his personality. As much as I like him, the singing just isn’t up to par. 6

Sway, “Overjoyed” – Ick. I don’t like the tone of his voice at all. Everything seems so effortful and he’s got serious pitch problems, just like last week. 5

Will, “Lady” – I can’t help but laugh and think of Lee’s version of this song: “I’m your knight in shining armor. It’s so shiny.” But, I digress. I didn’t realize how beautiful his voice is. It may be more suited for Broadway, but who cares? Any way you slice it, he sounded really good. 8.5

Bucky, “The Thunder Rolls” – Oh, Bucky, you’re as real as it gets. Not bad, not bad. I didn’t see anything special about it. Seemed somewhat karaoke-ish to me. 7.5

David, “The Way You Look Tonight” – God knows I love good crooning and that was NOT good crooning. Very pitchy and very dull. And the head shaking to create vibrato makes me crazy! 5

Chris, “Hemorrhage” – That could have been straight off the radio. He's got a great voice and that song really worked for him. I think the judges said last week that he’s got a great recording voice. No doubt about that. 9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home