Monday, October 16, 2006

Weekend Recap

Friday, KB and I drove down to Ikea in College Park, so I could buy a computer desk. I found one online at L.L.Bean a few weeks ago, but when I was finally ready to purchase, it was gone. So I started looking elsewhere and found one I liked at Ikea. After battling the Friday rush hour traffic for an hour, I quickly found the desk I wanted. I noted the aisle and bin numbers, went to the self-help area, but found only an empty bin. According to the guy at information, the desk was out of stock and I'd have to wait two weeks for the next shipment. I was a bit irritated at the time, but it has since worked out for the best: The desk I originally wanted from L.L.Bean is available again, so I ordered it yesterday and it should be at my door in about two weeks.

Saturday, I spent the afternoon at the Morvan Park Steeplechase with Brent and his folks. It was a perfectly beautiful day, with crisp October air, good company, delicious food, and beautiful horses. We were all thoroughly enjoying the festivities when, during the first flat race, one of the horses stumbled a mere 100 feet from where we stood, sending both horse and jockey tumbling head over feet. Amazingly, the jockey appeared to be unharmed, but the horse was not so fortunate. He laid there, head not moving, but body writhing around in what must have been excruciating pain, legs flailing, as if he were still in the race. I kept telling myself that he was just stunned and surely he would be back on his feet any minute. It never happened. I reluctantly came to the morbid conclusion that the horse had broken his neck or back. The horse ambulance appeared and tarps where brought out to shield the audience’s eyes from the gruesome scene. After what seemed like an eternity of everyone watching for some sign of hope, thick ropes were brought out of the ambulance and the horse was dragged into the back of the trailer. I could not believe what I had just witnessed. That beautiful creature had been destroyed right there on the track. It was absolutely awful. The rest of the day, the next day, and even now, I find that horrific scene flashing before my eyes. The day is burned in my memory, and not in the way I would have liked it to be.

Sunday was restful, as I spent the day at home doing chores, reading, watching the Steelers game (a win, finally!), and spending some quality time outside with Ernie.

Tonight, I’m going to take advantage of this perfect weather by taking Ernie for a long walk. Then, I’ll make some Cranberry Apple Bread, and while that’s baking, I’ll go through the mile-high stack of mail on my dining room table. Not a bad way to spend the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home