Thursday, September 27, 2007

From the Mind of JD

An email I received from Jonathan earlier this week:

Subject: I dreamed a dream...
Sorry I didn’t call you this weekend, I meant to, but now I’m glad I waited to say hey, because I have dreamed the greatest dream that I have ever dreamed or could ever hope to dream, and I have to share it with you, because you’re the only person in the entire world who will get how wonderful this dream was!

To begin, this dream was a culmination of at least two things that have happened recently, being (a) my discovery of the release of the new Elizabeth and (b) me hearing Ian McKellen perform passages of King Lear on NPR.

So in this dream, I’m following Jean-Luc Picard (oh yes, probably because Patrick Stewart played opposite McKellen in X-Men), who is flying a highly-powerful and experimental ship, the Schnitterbahn (not to be confused with the Texas waterpark, but I want to say that there’s a fair ride by that name). McKellen was captaining the Enterprise in Picard’s stead, but it was an elaborate rouse to seize control of the Schnitterbahn. McKellen killed most of the crew of the Enterprise (thank GOD!) and threw down the gauntlet to Picard by smashing up the Schnitterbahn and demanding a surrender. Picard evacuated the failing Schnitterbahn, whose crew included my sister. In a dramatic moment, Picard delivers his (apparently) last captain’s log, of which I only remember, "The Schnitterbahn is spent, her defenses weak." After finishing, Picard sets the transporter to put him on the bridge of the Enterprise only briefly enough to hand-deliver a note to McKellen with only two words written on it, "Single combat." OMG, I have chills. Picard sets the Schnitterbahn to self-destruct so that whether or not he is defeated, McKellen will be. At this point, the actress who played "Bloody" Mary in the first Elizabeth appears (love her, great comedic actress in the Absolutely Fabulous series), but with Cate Blanchett’s voice. She implores (love that word) Picard not to destroy himself, of which I only remember, "Whatever wrongs you may have known, whatever ills this world has delivered upon you, know this..." It was at this point I woke up, realized that I woke up, and screamed, "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!" I’ll never have that recipe again! I'll never know what happened to Picard! Cate's words of absolution will never be heard!

Okay, back to boring reality! Later!

I was laughing so hard, it turned into tears and two co-workers stopped by my office to make sure I was okay. Thanks for sharing, JD!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home