Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgiving Recap

I went to my folks’ house on Wednesday evening and was greeted by my overjoyed pup. I hadn’t seen him in almost three weeks, so it was a happy reunion.

Thursday, we had plans to go to my uncle’s house outside of Philly for Thanksgiving dinner. We were supposed to leave at 1:00, but my brother, Dan, hadn’t arrived yet. When 1:30 rolled around without him showing and no answer to our repeated phone calls, Mom got worried, while Dad got angry. At 2:00, Mom and I decided to drive to his house and see if he was there, while Dad stayed at the house, in case he showed up.

Mom and I sat in relative silence during the 45-minute drive to Dan’s house. I knew we were both running through every possible scenario, both good and bad, that could explain what was going on. As we turned in his driveway and saw his car, we both heaved a sigh of relief. Of course, one of the scenarios I worked out in my head was that he had been working on his RC cars when he accidentally cut his hand off with the ban saw and was bleeding to death on his workshop floor. Thankfully, that wasn’t the case. Turns out he had gotten the e-mail from my mom that morning saying, “Be here at 1:00 tomorrow.” When he read “tomorrow,” he thought she meant Friday, not realizing she sent it the night before. As for not answering the phone, he had it on vibrate and didn’t hear it. I told him I was glad he wasn’t dead, because now I could kill him! Anyway, we made it to my uncle’s house two hours behind schedule, but just in time to sit down to a delicious dinner.

Friday, I spent the day relaxing with my folks. I also made Cinnamon Cranberry Challah Bread from scratch. It was quite a process: mixing, kneading, letting the dough rise for a few hours, punching it down, braiding, letting it rise again, then baking. But both loaves turned out perfectly.

Today, Mom and I sat on the front porch while the pups, dressed in their hunting gear so as not to be mistaken as wildlife by hunters, roamed around as Dad raked leaves.



I returned home this afternoon and Dan came by a bit later to spend the night. We were planning to go to the 9:30 Club in D.C. for a concert, but decided against it at the last minute. The band we wanted to see wasn’t scheduled to start until after 11:00 and getting home at 3:00 a.m. didn’t sound very appealing to either of us. So we opted to relax at home instead. I’m a bit disappointed that we missed the concert, but I know it would have been really rough on both of us, particularly Dan, who is usually in bed by 8:00.

Tomorrow, Dan and I will go out for breakfast, then come home to watch the Steelers game. A nice end to the long weekend.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home