Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sin City and Phoenix

I'm in Phoenix this week for a conference. The conference is being held at a posh resort and spa, so I'm loving life! I’m sitting on my balcony, which overlooks the golf course, sipping tea and enjoying the balmy desert November night.

I stopped in Vegas on my way here to spend the long weekend with Lee. It was my first time in Sin City and I have to say, it was nothing like I imagined. I expected to see hookers and beggars on every street corner. I thought I'd be battling smoky gamblers and their plastic cups of quarters everywhere I turned. I figured we'd see high rollers and scantily-clad girls in Lamborghinis at every traffic light. Shockingly, I didn't see any of these things, although Lee did point out where we could go to pick up a hooker in the evenings if so inclined. I thanked him for the info, but decided to decline the offer.

We passed the time checking out The Strip, trying to find the "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign (much smaller than expected), visiting Hoover Dam, laughing about the fact that Suzanne Somers was performing (who's going to that show?!), eating good food, and watching old episodes of Nip/Tuck. Would you believe I didn’t gamble a single penny? It’s true.

The flight from Vegas to Phoenix this afternoon was pretty eventful. As I was waiting to board the plane, an announcement came, saying that the flight was overbooked. Southwest was offering a full refund for the flight, plus a $200 voucher for anyone willing to be bumped to a later flight. I wasn’t in any rush to get to Phoenix, so I volunteered to give up my seat. With only ten minutes to takeoff, I heard myself being paged to the gate. The guy at the counter said they didn’t need the extra seat after all, so I was put back on my original flight. Of course, I had to take a center seat at that point and got stuck between two hefty guys who spilled over the armrests. And speaking of spilling, one of them accidentally dumped his Sprite on me, and then tried to use his beverage napkin to mop up my damp lap. Actually, all the chaos was worth in the end when we flew over the Grand Canyon at sunset. Absolutely spectacular.

So, I’m here in Phoenix for the week. If time permits, I may swing down to Tucson one night to check out my old haunts. We shall see....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home