Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Recommended Listening

When you have time, listen to this episode of NPR's Creators at Carnegie featuring Audra McDonald.

My first encounter with Ms. McDonald was the CD Songs from Ragtime. I instantly fell in love with her sound - classical and Broadway styles combined in one powerful, limitless voice. When I saw her in the Broadway production of Ragtime, I was blown away. Her voice is even more remarkable in person, not to mention her fine acting. I guess that explains the four Tonys.

This 2004 episode includes songs from her three solo albums, a live performance of a new song cycle, The Seven Deadly Sins, and commentary from Audra about each of the new songs in the cycle. The best sins are Gluttony: "I Eat" (12:20), Lust: "Burning the Sauce"(23:25), and Envy: "Can You Look Me In The Eyes" (36:35).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home