Sunday, May 21, 2006

Another Good Weekend

Brent and I went out on Friday for sushi, sake (for Brent) and plum wine (for me) at Matsutake. With full bellies, we came back to my place and watched Master and Commander. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen that movie and yet I still find it completely enthralling.

On Saturday, KB and Chloe came up for the day. Chloe kept Ernie company, while KB and I drove to Gettysburg for lunch at Friendly’s and a bit of shopping. Over lunch, we reminisced about all the funny and unbelievable Friendly’s experiences we’ve had. My favorite, by far, was one of KB’s. While at Friendly’s once with her ex, the server delivered the drinks and asked with a terrible lisp and every sentence ending with a question mark, “Um, thir? I wath wondering? Do you need a thpoon to thtir your ithed tea?” He answered yes, so off she went to fetch a spoon. When she returned without one, she explained, “Um, thir? We’re out of thpoons? But you can uthe your knife? To thtir your ithed tea?” Soon after that, KB overheard someone at the next table order the portabella sandwich without mushrooms. Priceless!

After lunch, we browsed the outlets, where I found a great pair of red sandals on sale. (Why do I love red shoes so much?) While KB was umbrella shopping at the Totes store, I saw a very unusual elderly couple shopping for sunglasses. The man was in a three-piece, pinstriped suit that was several inches too short. The woman had wild grey hair and was wearing lace-up ankle boots, two different socks (one green, one pink), a long black velvet skirt, and a burgundy velvet cape with a gold tassel. I entertained myself, imagining them as unlikely superheroes, trying to complete their costumes with stylish Totes sunglasses.

We returned home to walk and feed the pups, then headed out again, this time to Ft. Detrick to watch the U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps and Silent Drill Platoon, which were performing as part of the Armed Forces Day Celebration. Quite a show! We decided to end the evening with stops at Home Depot, Target, and Uno’s.

Today, I gave Ernie a bath – always an adventure – and spent the day relaxing at home. Now, I’m looking up recipes, writing a grocery list, and wishing the weekend could last another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home