Monday, August 21, 2006

Capote

I finally watched Capote this weekend, which I’ve been meaning to do ever since I finished reading In Cold Blood a few months ago. Good flick, although I wonder if I would’ve enjoyed it more had I seen the film prior to reading the book. No matter. It was very well done, except for the decision to cast Clifton Collins, Jr. as Perry Smith. He didn’t capture anything of Smith, physically or emotionally. But Philip Seymour Hoffman was absolutely amazing as Truman Capote. Of the role, Hoffman is quoted as saying,

“It was the kind of role that technically I had to stay with because if I let it go it was pretty hard to try to get it back. So during the day, even in between shots and during breaks, I’d try and stay in character vocally and physically so I wouldn’t have to try to bring it back up.”

Yeah, I’m glad I wasn’t on the set. I would've had to slap him silly.

I’m looking forward to the October release of Infamous. That’s right, yet another film about Capote’s experiences while researching the Clutter murders. Hollywood sure is struggling to come up with an original idea these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home