Monday, June 12, 2006

Thai King on Throne for 60 Years

This week marks the 60th anniversary of King Bhumibol Adulyadej's accession to Thailand's throne, making him the longest serving monarch in the world. I wish I was there this week for the celebrations, instead of two weeks from now. The rarely performed royal barge procession down the Chao Phraya River must be stunning.

When I was in Thailand last month, I was amazed to see how much the Thai people love their king. There were huge billboard-sized pictures of him along the highways. Every office I visited contained at least one picture of the king, but most had several. "Long Live the King" was everywhere - on bracelets, cars, etc.

Quite differrent from the what we see on many cars here in the U.S.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home